Thursday, August 26, 2010

Simplicity


Oh how I miss Simplicity. 

In January of 2008 I wrote a list for adopting a theme of simplicity for the year. I was guided to this by a mentor of mine. Recently the topic has come up in conversation, and thus in this transitional stage of my life (almost graduated and in the working world, but not quite there), it seems to be appropriate. I've moved into a house where I will be living for the next three months during my student teaching before finding a more permanent location as I begin really teaching in January.  More details of my life another time. Simplicity.

1. attain mastery over time
  - less multitasking
2. live more naturally
  - sleep enough to wake up naturally
  - take walks outside!
3. less is more
  - eat less - savor it
  - wear makeup only if necessary
  - simple cleanliness and light makeup
4. decrease expenses
  - what can I do without?
5. embrace silence
  - listen more
  - talk less
6. small acts of kindness
  - take treats to work or meetings
  - let someone in front of you in the checkout line

"Simplicity means a return to the posture of dependence. Like children we live in a spirit of trust. What we have we receive as a gift."  - Richard J. Foster

Those were my simplicity themes two and a half years ago. I've realized the need to return to a few of them, some of them I still live, and others to be revisited. To add to my list:

7. avoid/eliminate clutter (like #3)
  - organize what I have
  - keep similar items in the same place, consolidate
  - use what I have instead of acquiring new
  - give away or sell what I no longer need
8. focus (like #1)
  - do not have too much going on at once
  - say no to things that distract me from my purpose in life

Essentially: Simplify. Simplicity.

God is simple. We are the ones who try to make him so complicated. Aww-spiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment