Friday, October 5, 2012

Who Does This?

From Friday, September 21, 2012

I'm sitting on a bench in the yard of St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, popularly known as "The Rock." It's the private yard of the Redemptorists who live and work for this parish and diocese. The weather is beautiful, though a tiny bit on the chilly side.

The Missionaries of Charity (MCs) with whom I'm staying give me Friday's off. I do my best to get away from the Convent/homeless shelter/soup kitchen that are their facilities, else I would end up helping-working out of boredom or continual interruptions. The space isn't that big. In my third week of being here in St. Louis, I usually opt for a run, coffee, prayer, reading, journaling, and a nap, if possible. As the MCs include rest after lunch as part of their work day, a nap is currently a typical part of my day. Any of this that can be accomplished outside, I do because my outdoor time is limited and minimal compared to the farm.

More than anything, I'm grateful for this experience. I'm exposed to a different world, yet retain my willingness to share myself with an environment that is quick to take from anyone and everyone. Fortunately, my guides have more city-smarts than I do, and keep me safe. I venture out little and seldom on my own, less Fridays. Even then, I catch a ride to a safer part of St. Louis than the area immediately surrounding the convent.

Each day, I participate in the "ora and labora" of the Sisters. They graciously allow me to participate in their prayers, at least those cited in the chapel, and guide me through the tasks of the day, lest I've learned how to do them on my own. I have the title of house-mother of the shelter which serves ladies and children. My apostolate is that of setting out their breakfast in the mornings, cleaning the facilities when they've left for the day, and when not helping with the after school program, serving their evening meal. Laundry here is done by hand and sheets are to be washed once a week. The simplicity of this lifestyle is attractive, as is the infusion of prayer throughout the day. Can you imagine life without a microwave? It's rather pleasant.

This morning, I've browsed through the St. Louis Review, the newspaper of the Archdiocese of St. Louis and the recent edition of TIME magazine. I have yet to venture into The Rock, though I hope to spend much of my afternoon there before joining my friends and cousin for an evening meal. I knew few people in St. Louis. The few I know well are temporary residents, though I've met numerous more permanent residents, most of which volunteer with the MCs weekly or monthly.

Maybe more people than I know have components of this life as their daily routine. Maybe not. I feel incredibly blessed growing in relationship with God and understanding of myself (I hope). Two more weeks.

I wrote out a brief schedule of what I hoped to accomplish today in my planner. It's going totally different than I planned. It's like God's saying, "Don't get in too big of a hurry to start creating your own plans, already. Leave room for me to work in you, through you and with you."

In gratitude, may God Bless you today and always!

1 comment:

  1. Jackie, this is so beautiful!I pray that God will continue to bless you in your time there!

    ReplyDelete