Thursday, July 4, 2013

Taking Ownership

How much more effort would we put into something if we owned it? 

This evening (last Saturday) I'm siting at the elevator with the third load of wheat I've brought in, since dad was finally able to get the combine going and get harvest started. The wheat is already on the dry side, but it is still yielding a pretty good test weight. I recognize numerous faces in the driver seats of other trucks, mostly due to my time as a waitress at Butch's Diner here in town in my early high school years. 


The demeanor of the gentlemen probing the trucks and handing out tickets, struck me. He says thank you as he hands you the ticket, but it's all words. His body language, his tone of voice, his lack of enthusiasm say to me, I'd rather be somewhere else or working with a different customer. As I drove away, noting that that kind of bugged me, I prayed, "Lord, bless him, help change me." Maybe he's got something going on that I have no idea about, or any sort of challenge that is not necessary or professional to bring up at work. Besides I tend to only see this person this time of year when I haul in wheat for harvest. 

I'm digressing. All this thought prompting me to be more aware of how the people interact with each day perceive me, especially those I'm calling for my job. Do I take ownership in the work I do. If I did a better job at owning my work, would I find more joy in it? 

In my continued search of how to best use my spiritual gifts (service, knowledge, intercession, faith, generosity), I'm tempted to ponder if there is really a place I belong or a specific job I'm meant to do. Now this is a dangerous train of thought and could easily pull me into the trap of "woe is me."  How does that glorify God? Rather, I can take the thought and direct it towards how can beat put my gifts to use where I am? Lord, help me find joy in the work I do each day.

My thoughts also jumped to, if I owned the property on which I lived, I might have more livelihood. Frank Hanna, in his book, "What Your Money Means and How to Use it Well," speaks of the value of individual ownership to the economy and society. This ownership ranges from businesses, homes, vehicles, land, etc..  He quotes Aristotle.

"Property should be private, but the use of it common; and the special business of the legislator is to create in men this benevolent disposition."

"Rather from time immemorial all successful societies have adopted private ownership because experience showed that it is generally the best way to draw forth from the earth the maximum benefit for the most people."

And Hanna paraphrases St. Thomas Aquinas: "... private ownership yields a society that is ultimately wealthier, ordered better, and more harmonious than one which doesn't allow private ownership."

I've just moved (yet again) to a house that I am renting with two other wonderful young women. I'm sure I will treat it much like my own, but there are somethings I won't do because it is not mine: put new organization selves in the closet to better use the space, paint walls, replace curtains that are faded but difficult to detach.

Pray for me. It seems God wants me to trust him even more.

2 comments:

  1. (This Joel, too lazy to log out of my wife's account)

    I enjoyed this. Good, challenging reflection. There are times I am glad I am wearing my dust mask so the rude drivers of trucks can't see the annoyed expression on my face. And there are friendly drivers where I will actually lower my dust mask so they know I am smiling and appreciate their joke. One guy gave me an ice cold Coke. Another gave me a ho-ho. They shared their private property. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you share the address of your property with me? :)

    ReplyDelete