Saturday, March 12, 2011

Playing to Win or Playing Not to Lose

I can remember several close high school basketball games where my teammates and I took on the mentality of playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. It might take a moment of thought, but when you let it sink it, it makes quite a bit of sense, and we can apply it to many aspects of our lives. It could be similarly compared to doing the bare minimum to get by. 

As a teacher, I could be playing to not lose by scrapping together half-hearted lessons and having only enough authority with my students to catch their attention for about half the class period. Some days feel like this. If I were playing to win, I would be putting in an extraordinary amount of hours beyond what I do already and have each lesson scripted out down to the transitions between activities. 

As a daughter and sister, I could play to win by calling up my parents more often (say two or three times a week) and letting them know what all is happening where I am an hour away. I could be calling a different sibling once a week and catching up on how they are doing. I say could be, because I don't put out the effort to do so at the present. 

As a friend, I could talk to my friends not only when I need a helping hand or would like to ask for a favor, or will be in the area in the near future. I have room for growth in this area as well. 

Spiritually, I am afraid of falling from grace. In college, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend mass every day if I wanted or was given the grace to desire to do so. It was wonderful. The adoration chapel was about 10 blocks away and I frequently found myself there numerous times each week, sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for 2 hours. Walks to and from campus and across campus found me with my decade rosary in hand, reciting Hail Marys between the smiles and hellos of fellow students. My life was ingrained in prayer, and that in itself was a gift of God's Grace, and not of my own doing. 

In Inman, America, life is much different. I've gone from participating in every Catholic event possible to barely catching an extra daily mass each week. Mostly because my schedule doesn't allow for it, and the closest Catholic Church is almost a 20-minute drive away. I fear I am falling from devotion. 

I recall reading some where, I think in the Imitation of Christ, that when one fears falling from devotion or falling from grace, they should continue on the way towards Christ and devotion. Oh, but I am so weak and so worldly in my struggles to struggle after Christ, carrying the cross that is mine.
6 About this person  I will boast, but about myself I will not boast, except about my weaknesses.
Although if I should wish to boast, I would not be foolish, for I would be telling the truth. But I refrain, so that no one may think more of me than what he sees in me or hears from me 7because of the abundance of the revelations. Therefore, that I might not become too elated, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated.
8 Three timesI begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me,
9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.
10 Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong. 
I'm so very glad it is Lent, that we may enter into the desert with Christ. 
From The Imitation of Mary: "When God wants to teach divine lessons to a soul and speak to her heart, He leads her into the desert (Hos 2:16). 
May you find yourself in the desert with Christ this Lenten season in your praying, fasting, and alms-giving, in preparation for our greatest celebration: EASTER! He surely has a divine lesson to teach your soul. We all have many Lenten seasons of deserts to endure, as there is much for our human nature to learn.

When you feel like you are only doing enough to get by and fear you cannot make it through your declared Lenten observance, pray a short, "Blessed be God," for in your weakness, He is strong. We learn that we cannot rely upon ourselves, but that we need our dear Heavenly Father.  Awe-Spiration. Mamma Mary keep you.

Apologies that it has been so long since I've posted a legitimate blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment