Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rend Your Hearts

If you attended mass on Ash Wednesday, you probably recall the hearing the following phrase in the first reading from Joel 2:13. "Rend your hearts, not your garments,and return to the LORD, your God."

This past weekend, I was blessed with some time to take up some reading in the Catechism. A feat I aspire to, but know that it shall take me some time. The headings of the few paragraphs I went through included, "God alone IS", "God is truth", "God is love". 

These two events have put some thought into my mine (imagine that), that helped me to be more docile to the Holy Spirit present throughout my day today. If you have not yet paused long enough to appreciate the continuity and solidarity of Catholicism, this might help you. The antiphons for the canticles of Liturgy of the Hours correspond with the daily mass Gospel readings. I had begun to notice this especially on Sundays, but never so much during the week days as I have of late.

First and foremost, this morning: "The Lord said: Peter, I do not tell you to forgive only seven times, but seventy times seven." Blessed to have some time to reflect (I literally asked Mamma Mary to yank me up out of bed by the arm this morning to help me overcome the temptation of crawling back under the covers for more warmth and rest.), I immediately thought of how much more merciful I should be with my students. I should be less quick to be irritated by their high school tactics. That became my prayer throughout most of the morning. Left unguarded just before lunch, I let my agitation show. One of my students decided it would be fun to lock himself in my office with my keys... His comment later was, "I only wanted to pretend to be a teacher for a little bit." He wasn't the first student to play teacher today, either. Which in hindsight, I find pretty humorous, yet flattering.

Another blessing of today was mass at St. Joseph's with Fr. David and the Catholic College Center group. In his brief homily, Father touched upon the story line found in the book of Daniel, where three Jews paid no attention to the demand of the king for all to bow down in worship of a gold statue at the cue of musical instruments (admittingly, I don't believe I've ever personally read through the book of Daniel until today). They were thrown into the white hot furnace. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (names were changed when taken by the king of Babylon - and what names they are...) were not burned. Today's reading begins:
"Azariah stood up in the fire and prayed aloud:" -Daniel 3:25
He stood up in the fire, not burning, to pray. (Here I suggest reading Daniel 3:25, 34-43, at least). "Lord, remember your mercy. We are sinful. We are slaves in a foreign land and have no place to offer sacrifice...(summary-mine)... But with contrite heart and humble spirit let us be received;..." Father continued to explain this passage to our meager crowd. My take-away was that while it is good to come to a place of worship to pray, if it does not invoke within us the practice of virtue, what good does it do? (I mean no disregard to the Eucharist, the source and summit of our faith.) Here I think, "A clean heart create for me, God; renew in me a steadfast spirit." (Ps 51:12) and "For you do not desire sacrifice; a burnt offering you would not accept." (Ps 51:18). Father tied one more wonderful link to a recent scripture story we should be familiar with from this past Sunday; that of the woman at the well, when:

Jesus said to her,
“Believe me, woman, the hour is coming
when you will worship the Father
neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.
You people worship what you do not understand;
we worship what we understand,
because salvation is from the Jews.
But the hour is coming, and is now here, when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth;
and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him.
God is Spirit, and those who worship him
must worship in Spirit and truth.”

I can only soak in the beauty that comes with understanding (awe-spiration). I was rather confused when hearing that line on Sunday. So as we continue on our Lenten journeys, recognized our need for God, let us turn to Him who IS love, Spirit and truth. No matter where you are able to worship or pray, may God find favor with your contrite heart and humble spirit

"My sacrifice, God, is a broken spirit; God, do not spurn a broken, humbled heart." (Ps 51:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment