Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Death With A Purpose Gives Full Meaning to Life"

A big thanks to Trent Loos of LoosTales for sharing his message at the Southeast District FFA Greenhand Conference over a week ago. This particular quote caught my attention and spurred my thoughts to some deeper thinking. Of course, his message was geared towards agricultural practices that provide and use the food, fiber, and natural sources that make the world go round. More simple put, we've got to harvest the crops to feed to livestock (and people), and butcher the livestock to feed the world. There is a purpose to the death that occurs. 

My deeper thoughts go in the direction of faith, religion, and scripture, as well as how we live that out. John 12:24 goes like this:
"Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit."

I might be mistaken, but I'm certain that is a direct correlation to agriculture. Unless the seed, fruit, or plant dies - stops receiving or transporting nutrients from the soil and halts the process of converting sunlight to usable energy, called photosynthesis, the life cycle would never end, and never begin again. One plant or seed must die or order to produce more, to bear fruit. Agriculture is a cycle of life. Agriculture is also a vehicle by which we teach the cycle of life (another Trent Loos lesson from a time when he spoke at K-State...).

So it is with us. I don't mean in the literal sense (but I do), but rather in the spiritual sense. As we die to self, which could consist of discipline in exercising, diet, chores, homework, serving others, or whatever your fancy, we bear fruit for others. This semester I've opted not to have a tv in my living quarters. If there was one here, and I were spending time watching it, I know I would probably not be doing what I should be doing. I have students to teach, who need a student teacher that knows what she is doing (I'm learning...). Thus for my students, I don't watch tv. I do still get in a movie from time to time.

In 2009, I decided to give up chocolate. Yup. No chocolate for a whole year. I did really good, except for a couple of occasions. I started out doing this for myself - to build discipline. I figured if I could say no to something small, it would help me to say no to bigger things, including student involvement on campus. All in all, I did grow in the virtue of PRUDENCE. However, at some point in the year, I decided to add an intention or intentions to my giving up chocolate. As Catholics, we believe that we share in the sufferings of Christ when we willing chose to embrace the cross in our life. 

Colossians 1:24 "Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church, ..."

"Col. 1:24 - Paul rejoices in his sufferings and completes what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of His body. This proves the Catholic position regarding the efficacy of suffering. Is there something lacking in Christ's sufferings? Of course not. But because Jesus loves us so much, He allows us to participate in His redemptive suffering by leaving room in His mystical body for our own suffering. Our suffering, united with our Lord's suffering, furthers the work of His redemption."(www.scripturecatholic.com/suffering.html)

We, the Church, are the Body of Christ. We can suffer for one another (though without Christ, our suffering is incomplete). Christ was crucified before He rose from the death. The grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies before rising again and producing new wheat, or fruit. I rejoice in my sufferings (I try, I really do) for the good of the whole Catholic Church throughout the world, and the good of all humanity. What an aww-esome gift God gave to us - the gift of suffering. Next time you say no (to selfishness=death), say yes to offering it up for someone (love=purpose). God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment