Thursday, October 14, 2010

How much PASSION do you have?

As I was walking down the hallway in C-Town today, I noticed the back of one of the athletic shirts. I think it was a football one. It said:

   Passion
   Passio'
To suffer

How much PASSION do you have?

I did not expect to find such a deep thought on the back of a football team t-shirt. Yet, if you think about, how cool is it what sports can instill in a person. To win takes discipline, practice, hard work, sacrifice - it takes some suffering. Do the students really think about a deeper meaning of the quote on the back of their shirts? Maybe not. Maybe. 

I also stumbled across this quote this evening:

"Teaching is not a profession, it is a passion." - Unknown

Hmm. So to win in teaching, to really make a difference in the lives of students is to suffer; hard work, long hours, discipline, practice, sacrifice. No wonder I get little me time and even less time to go spend with friends and family. But, it is the life I have chosen, and the life God has chosen for me. For the students, to help them become better people and productive members of society, for them I'm willing to suffer. I have PASSION for teaching.

Mother Teresa stated, "The most wasted gift is the gift of suffering." With the other two quotes in this blog, this quote takes on a bit of a different meaning for me than it has all year. Well, not so much a different meaning, but a new perspective towards the same meaning.  The thought that comes to my mind is, "How much are you willing to give?" Whether for a team or for a career, what are you willing to give? It's not so much counting the cost, but the willingness to freely give of yourself.

The FFA chapter t-shirts this year have the quote, "You make living by what you get. You make a life by what you give." (Winston Churchill). Too often we are concerned with what we are getting out of the deal or situation. Instead, we should focus on what we can give. Therefore, I ask, what are you giving your life to? How much PASSION do you have?

Any wonder why we call it Christ's PASSION? Aww-spiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment