Friday, October 29, 2010

Do Something for Someone Else, Every Day

In the life of a teacher, at least five days a week are committed to helping students learn and to making a difference in their lives. Some times, on days like today, when we don't have school, I am a loss of what to do with myself. I know that I should have spent a significant amount of time planning for the coming week, but I lacked the motivation and the drive. Spending a few hours in the classroom this afternoon, it just wasn't the same without any one else in the building besides the janitors. Even the few questionable arc welds I put out this afternoon did not motivate me to create those lesson plans that are vital to helping me be a prepared and effective teacher.  

Some of the rosaries I've made of late.
Finally, at a loss, I texted my good friend Torie, saying, "I'm in need of company and motivation. Any suggestions?" (It has been kind of a lonely day with out instructing several groups of students) Not five minutes later did I text her back saying, "Answering my own question. Do something for someone else." Her response came within three minutes of my second text, "You are good! If it was me... I would write a letter or work out or call a friend!"  By that time, I had grabbed some string to sit on the porch swing on this cool autumn afternoon to tie knots and make a rosary. I had also left my phone inside, and a short while later simply returned to read Torie's message, responding with, "Making a rosary helped some. I'll proceed through the list."


Well, I've not exactly tackled each of those items on the list that Torie sent me, but I did attempt to take my focus off myself and consider some people in my life who I've not talked to for quite some time. I had several facebook messages and wall posts I have been meaning to respond to for quite some time.  I've tackled those this evening. I had not talked to my brother Alfonse for quite awhile either. We got a good forty plus minutes of conversation in on his drive to Manhattan. I am not really one for phone talking, but with Alfonse, I can manage it.  Hopefully, and God willing, I will hash out a letter or two yet this evening before hitting the hay. 


All this reminds me of a story from sophomore year of college. It was spring break, and I was living in the Royal Towers complex in Manhattan with two close friends of mine. I had decided to stick around while they had gone home. Most college spring breaks met me with a sewing project, which was the same that year. At one point, I recall sitting on the couch with my laptop, browsing facebook and feeling sorry for myself that no one had written on my wall in quite some time. It dawned on me. "Jackie, people aren't just going to feel sorry for you and write on your wall from time to time. You've got to be generous and write on other people's walls." 

While my initial intention might have been to receive some affection from others, even through a simple facebook wall post, I learned in that moment that we often feel better about ourselves when we do something for someone else. That is, when we focus on others, we feel like a better person (even if that's not what we think about). This idea is also supported by Sean Covey's 7 Habits for Teens, in the chapter on the Personal Bank account. Make personal deposits into your own account and into other people's accounts by doing something for them, especially without them asking. There is a balance between gloating and humbly helping others. What have you done for others lately?


This evening, I feel much better about myself for the time I have invested in other people, even if through technology and social media such as facebook and cell phones, and not person to person. And hopefully, tomorrow, at the start of a new day, I will be more geared up for tackling the tasks I need to. Praise God. Thanks Torie for being a resounding wall. Aww-spiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment