Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Panicked and Terrified, Then What?

In light of keeping my sanity and not becoming completely engulfed in my new found responsibilities as, agricultural educator, I spent some time this evening reading a book. Yes, it is related to youth development. :) The title: "Generation iY Our Last Chance to Save Their Future" (Click to learn more)

Here is a brief anecdote from the last page I read this evening. Author Tim Elmore took his son on a trip to Minneapolis, MN and gave him a brief opportunity to try something new. Keep reading to see it as it is written...

        "On the last day of our four-day trip, I told Jonathan we were going to drive to one of the lakes in the area. We weren't going to do the Mall or a show. He knew something was up and wasn't sure if he liked it. I pulled into a parking lot in our rental care and stopped next to the lake. Then I turned to my son and gave him a bit of a shock.
        "Jonathon," I said, "let's trade places."
        I paused, then went on. "I want you to get behind the wheel of this car and drive around the parking lot a bit.
        Jonathan was stunned, especially because he is a bit of a rule keeper. "Dad - no! I am only twelve. I can't drive." I smiled and encouraged him that I would only have him drive around the parking lot for a few minutes. "Dad, I can't I am not big enough. This isn't good. Mom will not like this, Dad. Mom will not like this!"
        When I finally talked him into it, he slipped into the driver's seat with fear and trembling. He slowly backed up, trying to imitate all he had seen me do over the years. Then he began rounding the parking lot. Before long, he was having fun. He's a boy, and like most boys he found driving a car natural and enticing. He was actually quite good at it, though I did stop him after a few minutes.
        It was after this experience that a meaningful conversation ensued. I said, "Jonathan, how did you fee when you first took the wheel?"
        He was honest. He acknowledged that he'd felt panicked, terrified that he couldn't do it."But you found out you could do it after all, didn't you?" I said. 
        When he agreed, I went on. "Jonathan, those feelings are exactly what you'll be feeling as you enter manhood. You will think you can't do it, that you don't know what you are going, but you won't want anyone to know how you're feeling. Being a man is a lot like taking the wheel of a car. You are no longer a passenger in life. You are a driver, responsible for getting to a destination and getting your passengers safely there as well. Growing up means becoming a driver instead of a passenger."

Hmm. My situation is a bit different. I'm twenty-three, not twelve. I'm not driving, but rather teaching and learning how to be a lady living on my own.  And now, my students are the passengers. Two weeks ago I was terrified. Let me say that again, TERRIFIED. Fortunately, I was blessed to spend a few days in Hays for a Prayer and Action reunion and to bring in the new year. While in Hays, I confided in my summer teammates that I was fearful and afraid of the coming semester, and asked for extra prayers if they could spare them.  I've only had a few minutes of driving, or a few days of teaching, but most of the panic and terror has worn off. There is still so much to accomplish. As I leave school each day, I leave many tasks behind, knowing they will greet me again the next day when I return. 

I'm loving getting to know my students. I'm excited about the challenges to make a difference, providing them with autonomy and responsibility, and being both responsive and demanding an as authoritative figure in their lives. 
God knew what He was doing when He put me here. Blessed be God. Aww-spiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment