Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's Not a New Idea

"They always present those finding as though they are new ideas."

This was the comment from the art teacher this evening. We were cleaning up after freshmen class concessions (Funny how the sponsors were the only ones still there. No students to be found.) He was referencing the book study some of the teachers are participating in in the school district, as I mentioned to him it was something I did today. Rather he was referencing the book we are reading: "A Whole New Mind". I admit that I've only read the first two chapters and am still kind of getting into it. Daniel Pink talks about right brain vs. left brain thinkers, or right brain directed or left brain directed thinkers. The synopsis so far, I understand, is that society is transitioning from L-directed dominant to a more holistic approach. We need both sides of our brain. Regardless, I'll let you know how the book ends up. 

I admit that I am a bit of a nerd. I counted last night. I am in the midst of reading eight or so different books at present. This does not include the numerous ones that have found their way back to my bookshelf with a prayer card bookmark somewhere in the middle. Or the textbooks I recap to stay ahead of my students in learning. I digress. Let's get back on track. 

I briefly logged onto facebook and found a link posted by a brother of mine, a brother in Christ. Naturally, I opened it up to read and here is where my thought process went. The article discusses the environment in which we celebrate mass, now-a-days.  The article opens up like this:

"I love chant. I love vaulted ceilings. I love stained glass and incense, ancient gestures and profoundly freighted silence. Beauty is more than decoration: It nourishes the soul."

In "A Whole New Mind," R-directed brains cater to emotion, design, and relationship (of knowledge and of people). The L-directed is geared towards logic and sequence. The R-directed is guiding humans into realizing that prosperity is liberating, though not fulfilling.  It is not a new idea. 

The Founding Fathers of the Catholic Church have known this for years; it is not a new idea. Granted this means of transmitting information and the way it is presented is new to me. This book is new to me. New ideas intrigue us. If we are willing, we can search more and find out about the sources and the past research and study of a topic. But often we settle for the what is presented to us by the work that others have done for us. We miss out on so much.

Tonight at mass (one of my rare occasions for such) celebrating the Chair of Peter, Father reminded us that only by God's grace, or God revealing truths to us are we capable of deep faith and understanding. There are some understandings that only come with grace. My thought at the end of his homily was perhaps we should pray that more people receive the grace to see beyond sola scriptura to the beauty and depth of scripture and Tradition, a "both/and" perception (thanks George Weigel). (I'm sure that's not a new idea either.) 

I no longer know where I am going with this. Perhaps the thought is complete and it is just too late for me to comprehend any more.

Next time you hear a seemingly new idea, challenge yourself to dive deeper and found out more. You might surprise yourself or just be surprised. Or talk with someone about it. They might know more than you, and enlighten you by saying, "They always present those finding as though they are new ideas."

Aww-spiration. God love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment