Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Spiritual Communion

"I believe, that You, O Jesus, are the most holy Sacrament. I love You and desire You. Come into my heart. I embrace You. Oh, never leave me. May the burning and most sweet power of your love, O Lord Jesus Christ, I beseech You, absorb my mind that I may die through love of Your love, who were graciously pleased to die through love of my love. 
(St. Francis) (Other versions available)

Between limited opportunities for daily mass and finishing reading The Imitation of Christ, I've been reminded of the Spiritual Communion prayer I memorized in high school. Our junior high religion class teacher taught us about Spiritual Communion, and a saint who, upon opening her cloak, showed red roses on one side and white roses on the other. One represented Holy Communions received in her life, the other, Spiritual Communions received in her life. The number was almost equal if not more Spiritual Communions.  I cannot remember who and have not been successful in searching out the name of this saint. Enlighten me if you will, please. 

This has always intrigued me. Now at a time when daily mass would cause me to neglect the responsibilities of my state of life, I am limited in the number of times I can receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord. However, this is also revived in me the idea and reception of Spiritual Communion. For this, I praise God. It gives me a greater strength than the days when I have neglected the opportunity or desire to receive our Lord in the Eucharist.

The Imitation of Christ Book 4:10.6
"When people are prevented legitimately from receiving Holy Communion, if they still keep their good and pious intention to do so, they will not be deprived of the blessings it brings them. Every devout person may make a spiritual Communion with our Lord - every day and every hour - without any prohibition, and will profit greatly from this."

What a beautiful gift! Aww-spiration. God love you. Mamma Mary keep you.

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading the flower story, but I can't seem to find it online. Here's what I did find: http://www.catholictradition.org/Eucharist/most-blessed9.htm

    ReplyDelete