Monday, October 31, 2011

Care for Body and Soul

CCC 364   "The human body shares in the dignity of the "image of God": it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit:
       Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity. Through his very bodily condition he sums up in himself the elements of the material world. Through him they are thus brought to their highest perfection and can raise their voice in praise freely given to the Creator. For this reason man may not despise his bodily life. Rather he is obliged to regard his body as good and to hold it in honor since God has created it and will raise it up on the last day."

I could take several different tangents on this excerpt from the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC), however, the one upon which I shall focus this evening is that of how we treat our bodies in our food consumption. I'm not going far right or far left as far as politics or extremists are concerned, rather just challenging you to consider what you put into your body. 

My Food Science class is currently in the midst of a unit on Nutrition and Digestion. We've covered basic components of nutrition and various parts of the digestive tract and processes. To help us gain an understanding of the pieces all together, we will be watching "Super Size Me." I know my ag educator in high school taught this in her classes, but I have not actually seen the documentary (?) until this evening, screening it while working on other lesson plans. If you need a kick in the pants about improving your diet and nutrition, you might give it a whirl. 
The star of the show self-opts to participate in a 30 day McDonalds'-only diet. He does a physical evaluation of his health with the help of some experts prior to beginning the diet. Ultimately, the impact is pretty dramatic and causes him to reconsider fast-food. 

While my point is not about the movie, it is about knowing yourself and your bodily needs. How can you better glorify God through your body? Lack of proper nutrition and diet can have negatives affects on you and your attitude. Too many sugars and fats, not enough vitamins and minerals can cause you to feel sluggish, lack energy and simply perform below par. This has been me for quite awhile, especially recently this semester. I've been extra tired, some times more than others. I consume too much candy (that candy jar is intended for my students from time to time, not me all the time), too much coffee (which is mostly fattening creamer anyway), and have tended to be apathetic of late. I've been telling myself something needs to change. I need to take action and improve my lifestyle, my love for life, and my motivation to get out of bed in the mornings. I'm not expert in this matter, but I'm learning and sharing.

I finally took some time to prepare frozen vegetables and grilled chicken for a much healthier meal than my typical evening picks. Three-hours later, I already feel as though I have a lot more energy. Are you neglecting your daily recommended allowances? I suggest you take note and allow yourself to better glorify God in all you do by eating more healthily that you do at present. It might help you better focus in prayer, too.
God Bless. Mamma Mary keep you!

No comments:

Post a Comment