Sunday, August 12, 2012

Not Conditioned for This

Farm life is farm life.

My mom has to have the greatest work ethic of anyone I know. Almost to a fault, at some points, but a great example, none the less. She's up at 5:00 every morning, outside to take care of the chickens and sows in the farrowing house before putting in a ten-hour work day at Cooperative Grain and Supply in Hillsboro. When arriving home, she again takes care of the chickens and pigs, in addition to preparing supper, washing anywhere from 800-1000 eggs, and then candling those eggs and sorting by size for sale. Everyday. Granted the weekends consist of delivering eggs to four-six different locations, usually on Saturday. This weekend also included a funeral of a community member and a polka dance celebration for 50th wedding anniversary for another beloved couple in the Pilsen area. Having attended Mass yesterday evening, my mom was set on painting today. (I still haven't really touched the house since my helpers left.)

While Laura and I went to Mass, mom painted. After dinner while the rest of us took naps, mom painted. I recognized the opportunity to be charitable and help mom right away after dinner, but I admit I was pretty weak and tired. She had been working on the sophet plate on the south and west sides of the house. When she was about to move to the north side, I finally jumped in and helped. 

One of the best things about a Prayer and Action experience is the conversations that take place throughout the work day. Mom, who really does like to paint, couldn't quite tear herself away yet and kept working with me on the north side of the house. We didn't talk a ton, but I haven't had good quality time with my mom like that in ages. I told her that perhaps one of the reasons I was at home now was to spend time with her. I did ask her a few questions, and enjoyed realizing some of her quirks. She spoke of how grandpa had instilled that work ethic within her. While she had sometimes tried to sleep in on the weekends, grandma would yell at her. Oh, family farm life. 

When I asked her the best thing about married life, her response was that of two things. She said the first and I asked if there were any others. One: not having to go through life alone and two: children; doing your best with them and depending on how they turn out, wishing, should they choose to have children of their own, that they get a kid just like they were. My mom has a lot of wisdom in her young years. She speaks seldom, which probably makes her words all the more profound. I admire her. 

In the few short weeks I have actually spent at home, less a short trip here and there, I've realized I'm not conditioned for the farm like I once was. If God wills for me to stick around here for awhile, which I kind of hope He does, perhaps I will be a bit more conditioned to the work ethic and patience of the farm life.

One more short story. Last Wednesday morning, I helped my papa sort and load hogs. I was impressed by his patience and a little embarrassed at the lack of my own. I also bucked a few bales when I retrieved some straw and brome from the sheds we keep them in for the chickens and horses. My brother Phillip and I spent a short while fixing fence that morning, too. That afternoon, I noticed a slight soreness in my forearms. Farm life is definitely going to exercise some muscles I haven't used in a while; physically, virtuously and socially. Pray I become more conditioned to all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment