Sunday, January 15, 2012

Degree of Beauty

Hi. Happy 2012. It's been awhile. I've had plenty of opportunity to muse over numerous topics of late, and have opted to share this one. The first of what I hope is several in the coming weeks.

Two weeks ago, I was blessed to have two close friends stay with me, and then stop by to see my classroom on my teacher workday before parting ways. That Monday morning, I had opted not to put on make-up. Not simply because I didn't feel like it, or that I wouldn't be seeing people all day. I opted not to because my face was clearer and had more vibrancy than typical that Monday morning. I admit I thought for a moment about my tactics of face washing or the few other days over break I had not worn make-up, but was unable to come to any real conclusions about why my face looked so good that day. The friends even commented to me about it. (*Note* I'm not trying to say that I'm overly blessed with a pleasing appearance, and this has a point, I promise.) I simply had a seemingly unusual glow about myself. 

This morning, however, was a completely different story. As I looked in the mirror prior to heading off to mass this morning, I knew I needed to cover up the splotchiness to make myself more presentable to the Lord. At different points throughout the day, I allowed myself to ponder, what was different about two weeks ago from today?

This past week, I'm almost certain I got too much sleep as I was extra tired. There was not a single morning where I did not fall back asleep for anywhere from 20-60 minutes after initially waking up. I was hoping to be more intentional about morning mental prayer and meditation before starting my days. I gave in to the temptations to rest just a while longer, limiting my focus and attention to morning prayers. Nor was I able to make it to a weekday mass this week. By yesterday evening, I was exhausted. Attending Sunday mass was a bit odd, simply in the fact that it had been a full seven days since I was last blessed to physically receive Christ in the Eucharist. These first two weeks back to school were packed with home basketball games, requiring my time as bookkeeper or concessions manager for several hours each of those evenings. I cannot imagine how worn out the coaches and players are, as I was this past week. Finally I have come to a point where I can breathe and rest. There are no scheduled busy evenings this coming week. Praise the Lord. 

So what was the deal with the last few days over break? I think I have put my thumb on it, in that I was blessed to attend daily mass for seven of the eight days prior to the Monday teacher work day, in addition to numerous hours of adoration, time spent with those who build me up in faith, whether at one of two nuptial celebrations or a small gathering of friends, and much rest. Thus, I credit my "glow," my degree of beauty, that Monday morning to having received One whom I love, and having spent time with those who I love. The more time we spend with Christ, the more we receive Christ, the more we become like Christ, radiating His fragrance and His glow. How humbled am I to acknowledge this in myself, and am grateful that the experience is rare, lest I grow conceited. Though I do continue to long to have reception of the Eucharist a more regular staple of my week, for I know He gives me strength and further enables me to be an instrument of grace and peace in the lives of my students and colleagues. God Bless you and keep you.

3 comments:

  1. i'll second that. great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful thoughts! I agree. :) Good to hear/ read your writings again! God bless, dear.

    ReplyDelete