Monday, January 16, 2012

Single and Serving

Like most young women, I wonder when it will be my time to enter into my true Vocation, that of married or religious. While I patiently and sometimes not so patiently wait on the Lord to give me direction, I have recognized the opportunities to serve as a single person. 

First, I am blessed to give my time and gifts to my occupation as an agricultural educator. A teacher's work day is not simply from 7:30-3:30, five days a week, but so much more.

Secondly, to be a part of the Teens Encounter Christ movement of the Wichita Diocese. This movement, for older adolescents and young adults was founded in 1965 by Fr. Matthew Fedewa and Dorothe Gereke in the Diocese of Lansing, Michigan. TEC stems from Cursillo and strives to invite young people to engage in the ideal of the Paschal Mystery spirituality. Wichita hosts four retreats every year and is guided by a Core group of individuals to maintain purpose and Catholicity. I am blessed to serve as a member of TEC Core. 

The Wichita Diocese will soon have a new way to reach out to young adults, in particular those in their 20s and 30s. While I do not have an official role in this movement, Charis Ministries is a Jesuit ministry for this age group. Wichita will host its first Seekers retreat February 24-26. I hope to attend these retreats and serve the young adult community of the Wichita Diocese in the coming years. 

If you have ever had a conversation with me, it is likely that I have mentioned Prayer and Action to you. In summer 2010, I was blessed to serve along side five incredible individuals for the mission trip in your backyard with almost 300 youth in the Salina Diocese. Through the intercession of St. Philomena, Prayer and Action will make its debut in the Wichita Diocese summer 2012. Please pray for this movement, and myself, an unworthy servant to partake in the pioneer team. 

Ultimately, my goal is not to boast of the ways in which I am called to be a leader in several movements or boast of my busy-ness. The purpose of this post is to note that were I attached to a significant other, it would hinder my freedom to serve in such a capacity. Thus if you are still among the single folk, perhaps the Lord is calling you to serve His Church in a greater capacity than that in which you currently find yourself.

Tangent - From time to time, I happen to mention to my students that I don't pay for any form of televised networks, thus spend almost no time watching tv. So what do I do with my time, is often the question posed to me. I wonder this myself. Where does my time go? While there are the a fore mentioned ways to serve, when you live by yourself, you must also commit time to prayer, cooking, eating, cleaning, sleeping, personal hygiene, social/community time, solitude, reading (leisure, spiritual, intellectual, etc.) running errands, hobbies (crochet in my case), and exercise (I still could stand to improve in this area). How do we have time for tv with all else we must do?

The single life is a time in which we are called to learn more about ourselves, solidify our identities as sons or daughters of God, and discern our gifts and the ways in which we are called to use them for the good of all. God Bless you in your growth and understanding.

2 comments:

  1. Yes!! I'm so glad Prayer & Action is coming to Wichita! If there is anything I can do to help, let me know! Seriously!

    And Charis Ministries sounds very interesting, I'm interested in hearing more about it! The website said it's for those in their 20's and 30's, and well, TECers will be there sooner than we think (if not there already)! Sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete