Monday, January 16, 2012

St. Rita of Cascia

When I finally chose which local parish to become a parishioner at, in June, after six months of living in the area, I chose one that had two statues on its main alter: St. Teresa of Avila on the right and St. Rita of Cascia on the left. I hardly acknowledged the one on the left until pointed out to me by Sara in one of her visits. "That's St. Rita, right?" I hadn't given it much thought. "Tell me about St. Rita," I told Sara. Sara proceeded to enlighten me. I since have learned more, and have more to learn, but yet feel prompted to make this saint more well know.

St. Rita (1381-1457) was an only child, granted to a very charitable couple. While she wished to become a religious, her parents wished her to marry, at which she responded with obedience, betrothing a man picked by her parents. The marriage proved to be a rough one, to a cruel and harsh being. Her prayers converted him. She was widowed with two boys, who also died (she prayed they would die rather than commit the sin of revenge on those who killed their father). Though refused entry at first, St. Rita entered the Augustinian order and become known for her austerity, devotion to prayer and charity. She endured wounds on her forehead resemble the crown of thorns. She is the patron of hopeless or impossible causes, victims of abuse, sickness, loneliness, parenthood and widows. Her feast day is May 22.

"Nothing is impossible to God." ~ St. Rita

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking about her this week... Wow. I really do need to talk to her more.

    ReplyDelete